Tuesday, November 24, 2009

the 7 habits of highly effective people - last entry

I wanted to comment on the last two habits...in case I left any of my readers in suspense.  That was a joke because I don't have any readers!

Habit 6:  Synergize
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  Remember this is under the "Interdependent" section.  Covey talks about synergy in communication, the classroom and business.

Love this quote:  "We seek not to imitate the masters, rather we seek what they sought."

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw

This is the most important habit.  It is about "preserving and enhancing the greatest asset you have - YOU!"  So many excuses as to why we ignore our own health.

I try to relay this message to people I care about, but they don't seem to listen.  Let's try it in Covey's words:

"This is the single most important investment we can make in life - in ourselves, in the only instrument we have with which to deal with life and to contribute.  We are the instruments of our own performance, and to be effective, we need to recognize the importance of taking time regularly to sharpen the saw in physical, mental, spiritual and social/emotional ways."

There is much substance to this book that I feel like I need to re-read it now that I have given it a once over.  But will give it a rest and pass it on to someone else...just for a little while as this is a keeper!

Well, that's it for the 7 habits.  I won't forget you! And promise to revisit you regularly throughout my life.  Thank you for reconfirming what "to live", "productive" and "meaningful" means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments or questions as reading for me stimulates the mind more than anything.

Twitter