Sunday, November 8, 2009

book 2 complete: Wuthering Heights

Dare I speak of a 19th century classic with hatred? Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte, is cruel and twisted.  Filled with hatred, jealousy, emotional immaturity, death, sickness and darkness.  Need I go on?

The story is set in Northern England and the silliness occurs in two houses -  Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange. The inhabitants of these two households become entwined and spew evil for two generations until the two good natured heirs outlive them all and eventually wed.  You'd think this would leave one with a blissful feeling as the book ends, but not me.  I was left asking:  what's the point?

It was a risky and shocking publish for the 19th Century by an unknown female author.  What similarities were their to the authors own life ?Most of the story is relayed through third person, either from the housekeeper, Nelly, who lived through two generations of these families or through Mr. Lockwood who arrived at Wuthering Heights as a Tenant after all was said and done.  Nelly starts in on the history of Wuthering Heights to Mr. Lockwood and so the story begins.

The development of the different characters and their motives are complicated and confusing at times.  Possessive love and irrational behavior is what governs their motives.

I like the formal dialogue of how the characters address each other. No matter how stern it actually is, it still has a nice ring to it.  "I'll make up my mind on that point by to-morrow.  It requires some study and so I''ll leave you to your rest and go think it over."  However, the slang, english dilaect that the house servants use is incomprehensible and is distracting to me as the reader.  I actually skip right over it because I don't know what it means!  "It's flair flaysome ut yah, let 'em goa on this gait..." Pardon me?

I have completed this book and will be selling it; too dark to keep in my house.  Any buyers??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments or questions as reading for me stimulates the mind more than anything.

Twitter