Sunday, April 11, 2010

the count of monte cristo - quote

pg. 788

Passage between Maximilien (faithful friend to the Count) and Valentine (Maximilien's love) when Valentine has expressed that she may go ahead with the marriage that has been arranged for her:

Maximilien:
"I am selfish and an egoist, as you say; and, as such, I do not think of what others would do in my position, only of what I intend to do.  I think that I have known you for a year; that, on the day we met, I wagered all my chances of happiness on your love; that the day came when you told me that you loved me; and that from that day forward I have staked all my future on having you.  This has been my life. Now, I no longer think anything.  All I can tell myself is that fate has turned against me, that I expected to win heaven and I have lost it.  It happens everyday that a gambler loses not only what he has, but also what he does not have."

Melodramatic? Or appropriate? When you stake your deams in one person, this is the trauma that results.  Is the lesson not to stake such greatness on the actions and choices of another human being?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments or questions as reading for me stimulates the mind more than anything.

Twitter