Sunday, April 11, 2010

the count of monte cristo - quote

pg. 920

The count responding to Caderousse (one of the conspirators that caused his wrongful imprisonment) on his rationalization of doing wrong:

Count:
"Necessity may make a man beg for alms or steal a loaf at the baker's door, but not come and crack the lock of a bureau in a house that he thinks is uninhabited.  When the jeweler Johannes had just paid you forty-five thousand francs in exchange for the diamond that I gave you, and you killed him so that you could have both the diamond and the money, was that also necessity?"

How greedy are your inner thoughts?

While on travels, large euro bills fell from an innocent, unsuspecting Asian man's pocket who was struggling with an ''English-Italian" dialogue at the ticket booth of the Trenitalia train station in Venice, Italy.  I walked up with urgency, picked up the Euros and gave them to him.  To be a good samaritan?  No.  I found that the first thought that went through my mind was, someone else has seen what I have seen and they are going to snatch it...hurry!

Is this the ugly view of humankind that I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments or questions as reading for me stimulates the mind more than anything.

Twitter