Monday, April 5, 2010

the count of monte cristo - complete

I completed The Count of Monte Cristo yesterday on a plane returning home from Italy. I just wanted to cry and clutch the book tight.  Sounds dramatic I know.  This book is deeply philosophical.  It makes you examine your own life, your own past, your own choices.  Am I good?  What is good? Good for whom? What are my virtues/vices?  What role, if any, does god play in my life?

The story takes you on a journey and follows the complicated life, goals and pursuit of vengeance of one extraordinary human being. How life can change for someone from one single event and the successive chain of events that unravel from it.

There are a number of great passages that I want to quote and will do this in separate posts to follow with my comments attached.  There are quotes that I will want to return to as they articulate thoughts so precisely.

Good-bye Count.

I feel today that it must have been difficult to end the story for the author, Dumas, to say goodbye to the life of the count, or to find the appropriate ending and return to reality. It is such a fulfilling journey of life. As the Count says, all human wisdom is contained in "hope" and "wait".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments or questions as reading for me stimulates the mind more than anything.

Twitter