Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Jane Eyre

Up to Chapter 14

I guess we all struggle with wanting more from life.  More than what our present situation dictates.  Jane is already restless, having spent a short while, some three months, as a governess in Lowood, her mind is dreaming, her vision is expanding.  As a reminder, for ALL my followers, she left the boarding school where she lived from the time she was ten years old.  She is now a confident eighteen.  She left because she felt a yearning for something different, something new.  This sensation is stirring yet again within her.

"...I desired more of practical experience than I possessed; more of intercourse with my kind, of acquaintance with variety of character than was here within my reach." (p.114)

The household that she now stays at is called Thornfield Hall.  The owner of the house, Mr. Rochester, has just arrived, he is stern, abrupt, and demanding.  This doesn't seem to phase Jane. Something tells me that there is much more to come between Mr. Rochester and Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments or questions as reading for me stimulates the mind more than anything.

Twitter