Tuesday, July 13, 2010

the happiness project - complete

This book didn't sit long on my bookshelf.  In fact, it never saw the shelf.  I bought it, read it and shared it.

So yes, this was another new addition to the list.  Why The Happiness Project? I was at the bookstore in a particular frame of mind and the book was directly in front of me.  Someone had recently talked about it and I just "felt" like I had to buy it.  Yikes, did I act on a feeling?  What's happening to me?

I didn't blog as I was reading this one, I felt an urgency to get through it and I thought that blogging would slow me down.  Why the urgency? Perhaps because I was too curious to find out if Rubin (the author) found her happiness by the end of the year and more importantly, how she found it. Perhaps because I am struggling with my own level of happiness (or level of satisfaction of my life, to be more accurate). Or perhaps because I was reading along with a friend, and I felt a little inner competition to finish it first.

This concept of doing something for a year keeps being passed around, people doing different things, for different reasons for a certain period of time.  To make a commitment, to try something new, to change your environment, to create "an atmosphere of growth", as Gretchen puts it, all assist in creating happiness. How can we continue to do the same thing for an extended period of time and expect to feel alive?

Rubin's key question to ask yourself is:  In this moment of your life, what makes you feel good, bad and/or right?  The answers may lead you somewhere.

The Happiness Project was interesting and Rubin drew some valid conclusions about her personal findings throughout the year.  More than anything, I think she exposed a real and human side of herself that almost everyone can relate to.  She wrote about her flaws and daily struggles to the public.  This prompts others to take a real honest look at themselves as they see others have the same imperfections.  Rather then deny or hide, they can accept and improve.

She taught, by example, a way to improve ourselves and to reach our potential as human beings.  Simple concepts, not new, but renewed & equally important.

We underestimate the meaning of happiness in our lives.  My definition of happiness was to live according to my values.  More simply, Be Me.

1 comment:

  1. I have been following your blogs and I have to admit that I am excited about the sudden change in the "tone" of this particular book you have chosen to read and blog about.

    ReplyDelete

I encourage comments or questions as reading for me stimulates the mind more than anything.

Twitter